Thursday, January 27, 2011

We prefer "Homemaker" to "Housewife"

Thank you for posting my blog link at the bottom of this blog article. 
http://todaysmama.com/2011/01/mormons-they-are-everywhere/?replytocom=8989#respond
  I'm glad to see someone else has taken as much interest blogging about the salon article, 
“Why I can’t stop reading Mormon housewife blogs” as I have.

This "Mormon housewife blog" article was actually brought up by another Mormon mommy at a playgroup I attended TODAY!  OH how I wanted to shout out, "Yeah, I set up a WHOLE blog to address this article!"
Other Mormon moms LOVE that we are getting attention for doing what we choose to do as Moms in today's society where the focus is on material acquisition at the expense of child-bearing and rearing.

 Some Mormon moms at the playgroup and I, discussed in great detail the craziness of our modern world and how things are soooo backwards in where our values as a society lie.  I love how other people not of our faith are gravitating towards our way of life.  They see it as "retro" (the mothering, woman role fulfilling way of life) when we see it as just living life as we've been taught in the Mormon church.


 As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints, I know the followers on this blog will take everything I say as "Doctrine" and assume that what I post here is definately what Mormons are all about; so, I must proceed extremely cautiously as to how I come across.  I don't want any of my posts to create a new misconception in someone else's mind and start the whole vicious cycle over again.  So, for reference, I encourage you to visit the OFFICIAL church website to learn more about us, but my stories and life relating experiences can give you at least a partial clue on typical.  Visit http://www.lds.org/ or http://www.mormon.org/ and browse around.

I'll leave you with an excerpt from a talk given by an Elder in our church, whom we uphold as "Prophets, Seers and Revelators":  I can see how he was correct in 1977 when he delivered the address, addressing the topic of ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA).  I love how he correctly foretold how women would stop "giving in" to their instincts as women if the amendment passed. 

No wonder "Feminist-Atheists" are so intruigued by blogging Mormon Mommies; we are a rare find, indeed!

President Packer Proclaimed:

“In Utah, where our Church is headquartered, women received the right to vote in 1870, fifty years before the Nineteenth Amendment to the Constitution granted the right nationally.
“There have been injustices to women before the law and in society generally. These we deplore.
“There are additional rights to which women are entitled.
“However, we firmly believe that the Equal Rights Amendment is not the answer.
“While the motives of its supporters may be praiseworthy, ERA as a blanket attempt to help women could indeed bring them far more restraints and repressions. We fear it will even stifle many God-given feminine instincts."

No comments:

Post a Comment